Shweta and Nikhil were hoping that they would be blessed with a baby soon. However, Shweta wasn’t able to conceive. They visited a gynaecologist who examined Shweta, conducted some tests, and concluded that Shweta had PCOS, while Shweta showed no symptoms of PCOS.
PCOS is a condition that causes hormonal imbalance, and this imbalance is the reason why women may face issues in getting pregnant. Though, the exact reason for what causes PCOS is yet not known.
Hormones and Ovulation.
- A woman has two ovaries which release eggs alternately every month. Ovaries produce hormones like estrogen and progesterone along with minute quantities of the male hormone called androgens.
- The development and release of the mature healthy egg is known as ovulation. Elevated levels of androgen interfere with ovulation.
- If ovulation occurs, hormonal imbalance may prevent the uterus lining from developing properly for implanting the mature egg.
- Non-release of the mature egg means it cannot be fertilized by a sperm which means no pregnancy
- Weight control – if you tend to lean on the heavier side, weight loss in the right manner may balance the production of hormones. This could increase your chances of ovulation and pregnancy
- Manage your stress – being stressed out always can affect hormones. This can lead to an increase in cortisol which can trigger an insulin rise. Raised insulin can lead to an imbalance of hormones and infertility. So, de-stress yourself. Read a book or listen to music. Go for a walk to clear your head. Talk to your friends. Plan an outing. Manage your stress in a healthy way
- Diet changes – a home-cooked meal is always the best solution. A high fibre, low glycemic diet may improve fertility.
- Exercise – this will help you in your overall well-being. A consultation with your gynaecologist will help you at every step. Each woman’s body is different. What works for one may not work for the other. Ensure your partner is with you at the gynaec visits. His support is crucial. Together, you can achieve your goal of having a sound and healthy baby.